Laura The Gastronaut > Recipes > Cocktails > Spiced White Lady Cocktail
Spiced White Lady Cocktail
October 28, 2021 | Jump to Recipe
*This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see full disclosure policy for details.*
This cocktail is a spin on a classic White Lady. This time we are mixing in some spiced simple syrup and bitters to make it a little more seasonal.
31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN
This spiced white lady cocktail is a part of my 31 Days of Halloween. For each day in October, I come up with a cocktail recipe and snack recipe that perfectly matches a scary movie, Halloween movie, or a fun spooky activity. Check it out for all of your Halloween snack and drinking desires!
ELEGANT, SLIGHTLY SPICED, & PERFECTLY BALANCED
I tried a classic white lady cocktail and fell in love. The gin, the lemon juice, the egg white. It's a perfect cocktail. This time I'm putting a spin on it and adding in some homemade spiced simple syrup made with all the delicious spices of fall and winter- cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I also had in a bit of bitters to bring in those spices just a tad more.
SPICED WHITE LADY COCKTAIL INGREDIENTS
• Gin: The main component in a white lady cocktail. I use a London dry gin.
• Triple Sec: Adds in citrus orange flavor that pairs with the lemon juice.
• Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best!
• Spiced Simple Syrup: This spiced simple syrup will bring in those fall flavors and make you want to curl up by the fireplace. It's made with sugar, water, cinnamon stick, cloves, fresh ginger, and freshly grated nutmeg.
• Bitters: Any bitters infused with spices will work!
• Egg White: While not necessary, it will make the cocktail silky and put a thick layer of foam on top of the drink.
HOW TO MAKE SPICED WHITE LADY COCKTAILS
First, make the simple syrup. In a small saucepan, stir together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Stirring constantly, place mixture over medium heat until all the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add in 1 cinnamon stick, 2 crushed whole cloves, 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, and 2 2" long by 1/4" thick pieces of fresh ginger. Let it all soak and cool at least 15 minutes. The longer it soaks, the more flavorful the syrup will be. You can store the simple syrup with the spices in the fridge to get more bigger spice flavor. Strain when ready to use.
In a cocktail shaker, combine 1 1/2 ounces gin, 3/4 ounce triple sec, 3/4 ounce lemon juice, 1/4 ounce spiced simple syrup, 3 dashes of bitters, and an egg white.
First, shake the cocktail shake for about 10 seconds without ice. Then add in a couple ice cubes, and shake again for about 10 seconds. This will make the cocktail super foamy! Double strain the cocktail into a cocktail glass. Cheers!
If desired, you can garnish the drink with a lemon peel ghost. Cut out a ghost from a lemon peel, and put whole cloves into the lemon for eyes and a mouth.
SPICED WHITE LADY QUESTIONS
What is a white lady cocktail? A White Lady is classified as a sour cocktail and is part of the sidecar family. It's official ingredients (listed in the International Bartendar Association's official cocktails) are gin, triple sec, and fresh lemon juice. It's also known as a Deliliah and Chelsea Sidecar. The original White Lady was created by Harry MacElhone in 1919 in London and included creme de menthe. He replaced it with gin in 1929. However, some claim that Harry Craddock was the creater of the White Lady cocktail. Now, an egg white is a common addition to the cocktail for a silky feel.
How long will the simple syrup last? When covered and kept in the fridge, this simple syrup will last about a month. If you keep the whole spices in the simple syrup during storage, the flavor will become stronger!
What's the point of the egg white? Mostly for presentation purposes as the egg white is flavorless. It does, however, help a bit to decrease the acidity of the lemon juice and balance all the flavors together.
For this recipe:
Spiced White Lady Cocktail
By Laura Bullock | Laura The Gastronaut
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 5 minutes | Cooling Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 cocktail
For Simple Syrup:
• 1 1/2 ounces gin • 3/4 ounce triple sec • 3/4 ounce lemon juice • 1/4 ounce spiced simple syrup • 1 egg white
1. Make the simple syrup: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Place over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and add in ginger, cloves, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg. Let cool and soak for at least 15 minutes. *The longer it sits, the more flavorful it will be.* Strain when ready to use. 2. Make the cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine all the ingredients for the cocktail. Shake without ice for about 10 seconds. Add in a couple ice cubes, and shake again for about 10 more seconds until chilled. 3. Double strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon ghost, if desired.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Let me know by leaving a comment below and sharing on Instagram. Tag @laurathegastronaut and hashtag it #laurathegastronaut.
Category: Cocktails, Halloween
Keywords: white lady cocktail, white lady, white cocktail, cocktail recipe
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER HALLOWEEN COCKTAIL RECIPES!
October 28, 2021 by Laura Bullock