Laura The Gastronaut > Recipes > Cocktails > Margarita with Red Wine Floater
Margarita with Red Wine Floater
October 21, 2021 | Jump to Recipe
*This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see full disclosure policy for details.*
This cocktail is truly beautiful! With the yellow bottom (margarita) and dark red (red wine) top, it's sure to be a show-stopper. Plus, the jalapeno simple syrup is a great spicy addition for a well-rounded cocktail.
31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN
This margarita with red wine floater is a part of my 31 Days of Halloween. For each day in October, I come up with a cocktail recipe and snack recipe that perfectly matches a scary movie, Halloween movie, or a fun spooky activity. Check it out for all of your Halloween snack and drinking desires!
ELEGANT, TART, & A BIT OF A KICK
I love this cocktail, and it's almost too pretty to drink. ALMOST. The bottom is a margarita (kind of) and the top is a dark red wine which makes for a very tasty combination. Oh! And this cocktail has my jalapeno & cilantro simple syrup in it which gives it a slight spicy kick and extra flavor.
This cocktail was combined with my Carrie movie night! It fits perfectly thanks to that beautiful red floater on top to represent all the blooood! Plus, doesn't this cocktail just look like it should be a Halloween drink?! So spooky and mysterious.
MARGARITA WITH RED WINE FLOATER INGREDIENTS
• Silver Tequila: Tequila blanco is best for margaritas to give your cocktail a true agave flavor.
• Lime Juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice will give you the best flavor.
• Jalapeno & Cilantro Simple Syrup: Jalapenos, Cilantro, Sugar, & Water. I LOVE this simple syrup. It's a bit spicy and the cilantro tastes so good. It adds a kick to any margarita recipe.
• Red Wine: Any dry red wine will work for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE MARGARITA WITH RED WINE FLOATER
For the simple syrup, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Don't let simmer! Remove from heat, and add 1 sliced jalapeno and 1 small bunch of cilantro. Let sit for at least 15-20 minutes at room temperature. The longer it sits with the jalapeno and cilantro, the more flavorful it will be. Strain when ready to use.
In a cocktail shaker, combine 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila, 1 ounce lime juice, and 3/4 ounce simple syrup with a couple ice cubes. Shake for about 10 seconds until chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass. Float 1/2 ounce of red wine on top of the margarita by slowly pouring it over the back of a bar spoon. Garnish with a jalapeno. Cheers!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS MARGARITA WITH RED WINE FLOATER
• Strawberry Syrup; If you're here for a Carrie movie night, make this strawberry syrup to drizzle over a bowl of ice cream for a Carrie-themed snack!
MARGARITA WITH RED WINE FLOATER QUESTIONS
Why do you not include Triple Sec in the ingredients? Since this recipe doesn't contain triple sec, it technically isn't a margarita. But I found the taste was much better without the triple sec here since red wine was being added to the cocktail.
Why kind of wine is best to use? I used Merlot but any dry red wine would work such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, or Malbec.
For this recipe:
Margarita with Red Wine Floater
By Laura Bullock | Laura The Gastronaut
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes| Resting Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
For the Simple Syrup:
• 1/2 cup sugar • 1/2 cup water • 1 jalapeno, sliced • 1 small bunch cilantro
For the Cocktail:
1. Make the Simple Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat just until all the sugar has dissolved. Add in the jalapeno and cilantro, and let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. Strain when ready to use. 2. Make the Cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup with a couple ice cubes. Shake for about 10 seconds until chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass. 3. Slowly pour red wine over a the back of a bar spoon while hovering over the margarita so that it floats on top. Garnish with lime wedge or jalapeno slice.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Let me know by leaving a comment below and sharing on Instagram. Tag @laurathegastronaut and hashtag it #laurathegastronaut.
Category: Cocktails, Halloween
Keywords: devil's margarita, margarita with wine, halloween cocktail, carrie recipe
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER BOOZY HALLOWEEN RECIPES!
October 21, 2021 by Laura Bullock