Laura The Gastronaut > Recipes > Cocktails > Mysterious and Spooky Cocktail
Mysterious and Spooky Cocktail
October 17, 2021 | Jump to Recipe
*This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see full disclosure policy for details.*
his cocktail gives off all the Halloween vibes. Because it's made with silver rum, blue curacao, grenadine, and cranberry juice, it's a beautiful mysterious dark purple!
31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN
This mysterious and spooky cocktail is a part of my 31 Days of Halloween. For each day in October, I come up with a cocktail recipe and snack recipe that perfectly matches a scary movie, Halloween movie, or a fun spooky activity. Check it out for all of your Halloween snack and drinking desires!
TART, SWEET, & SPOOKY
This cocktail was for our movie night watching The Addams Family. It's dark, mysterious, and spooky just like Morticia and Gomez. I can definitely see both of them enjoying this drink! It gets the dark blue/purple color from the blue curacao, grenadine, and cranberry juice. Not only is this cocktail so fun and spooky, it also is so delicious. With a purple sugar rim, it's sure to be a Halloween hit!
WHAT'S IN A MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY COCKTAIL?
• Silver Rum: To ensure the deep blue/purple color of this cocktail isn't affected, a clear liquor is used. Silver rum is my favorite!
• Cranberry Juice: Brings in some of the red color and adds in some tartness and sweetness.
• Blue Curacao: Contributes to the blueness of this cocktail and adds great orange flavor.
• Grenadine: Instead of simple syrup, I opted for grenadine to bring in the sugar and adds redness to the cocktail.
• Lime Juice: Adds flavor and tartness. Freshly squeezed lime juice is best!
• Purple Sugar: For an extra fun and spooky cocktail, add a purple sugar rim!
HOW TO MAKE MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY COCKTAIL
In a shaker, pour in 2 ounces silver rum, 1 1/2 ounce cranberry juice, 3/4 ounce blue curacao, 1/2 ounce grenadine, and 1/4 ounce lime juice. Add in a couple ice cubes, and shake for about 10 seconds until chilled.
Run a lime wedge along the edge of the cocktail glass and twirl the glass in a pile of purple sugar. Strain cocktail into the prepared glass. Enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY COCKTAILS
• Cheesy Pumpkin Soup; If you want to stay with The Addams Family theme, try out this delicious cheesy pumpkin soup!
MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY COCKTAIL QUESTIONS
How do I make purple sugar? To make purple sugar, add about 1/4 cup of white sugar and a couple drops of purple food coloring to a jar with a lid. Shake the jar until sugar is colored. Add more food coloring to get a deeper color. What is grenadine? Grenadine is a red syrup that is made from pomegranate juice. It's main ingredients are pomegrante, sugar, and lemon juice. A store-bought grenadine is very sweet. I like to sometimes use it in place of a simple syrup in cocktails. What does the mysterious and spooky taste like? This cocktail is very fruity, sweet, and tart. There's cranberry juice, orange flavors from the blue curacao, and pomegranate flavors from the grenadine. The tartness comes from the lime juice and cranberry juice.
For this recipe:
Mysterious and Spooky Cocktail
By Laura Bullock | Laura The Gastronaut
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 cocktail
1. In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients except the purple sugar. Add a couple of ice cubes, and shake for about 10 seconds until chilled. 2. Run a lime wedge along the rim of the cocktail glass. Twirl the glass in a pile of purple sugar. 3. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with green apple slices.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Let me know by leaving a comment below and sharing on Instagram. Tag @laurathegastronaut and hashtag it #laurathegastronaut.
Category: Cocktails, Halloween Cuisine: American
Keywords: purple cocktail, Halloween Recipe, The Addams Family Recipe, blue curacao
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER HALLOWEEN COCKTAIL RECIPES
October 17, 2021 by Laura Bullock