Laura The Gastronaut > Recipes > Halloween > Drunken Shrimp Cocktail
Drunken Shrimp Cocktail
October 2, 2021 | Jump to Recipe
*This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see full disclosure policy for details.*
This beetlejuice-inspired cocktail is perfect for halloween or any time of the year. The seasoned and sauteed shrimp pair perfectly with the bloody mary.
31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN
This drunken shrimp cocktail is a part of my 31 Days of Halloween. For each day in October, I come up with a cocktail recipe and snack recipe that perfectly matches a scary movie, Halloween movie, or a fun spooky activity. Check it out for all of your Halloween snack and drinking desires!
SAVORY, SPOOKY, & BOOZY
If you've seen Beetlejuice before you probably remember the scene at the dining room table where everybody breaks out in dance and starts singing Day-O. It's one of my favorite scenes from the movie. That song is just so fun and catchy. The Deetz family and their guests were about to feast on some mighty big shrimp before all the shenanigans begin. At the end of the scene, the shrimp tails become fingers on a hand, and then the hands grab them all in the face. This drunken shrimp cocktail is inspired from that scene and made with spiked tomato juice and seasoned sauteed shrimp.
DRUNKEN SHRIMP COCKTAIL INGREDIENTS
• Shrimp seasonings: smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, & Kosher salt.
• Tail-on shrimp: I use large tail-on shrimp for this recipe to mimic the ones from the movie as best as possible and saute them in butter & seasonings.
• Tomato juice: The base of the cocktail is tomato juice. You could also use a bloody mary mix or vegetable blend.
• Vodka: The boozy element of the cocktail.
• Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best.
• Worcestershire: Almost everything tastes better with some worcestershire added.
• Horseradish: Adds just a bit of a kick to the cocktail.
• Hot sauce: For a little bit of heat.
• Olive juice: I love the flavor of olives and adds some salitness.
• Celery salt: For the rim of the glass.
HOW TO MAKE DRUNKEN SHRIMP COCKTAIL
In a bowl, combine shrimp, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and Kosher salt. Mix to coat shrimp with seasonings. In a non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add shrimp in a single layer and cook 1-2 minutes per side until opaque. Set aside.
On a small platter, pour some celery salt for the rim of the glass. Run a lemon wedge along the rim of the glass. Tip the edge of the glass in the celery salt twisting so the entire rim is covered.
In a shaker, add tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, Worcestershire, horseradish, hot sauce, olive juice, and black pepper with a couple cubes of ice. Shake for about 10 seconds. Strain into prepared glass. Arrange shrimp along the edge of the glass.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH DRUNKEN SHRIMP COCKTAIL
• Beetlejuice Breadstick Hand with Meatball Eyeballs; To stay with the Beetlejuice theme make this delicious breadstick hand topped with white meatballs. It's inspired by the scene where Adam has eyeballs on the end of each of his fingers!
• Vegetables; Bloody Mary-type vegetables such as celery, olives, and pickles would also be great dipped inside of this cocktail.
DRUNKEN SHRIMP COCKTAIL QUESTIONS
Does it matter what kind of shrimp I buy? Nope. I chose to go with a tail-on and shell-on large shrimp in order to mimic the Beetlejuice movie as much as possible. However, shelled shrimp and any size of shrimp will still work for this recipe. What other booze can you make this cocktail with? Vodka is my favorite for bloody mary's. However, you can substitute the vodka with gin (that's called a red snapper!) or substitute with tequila (that's called a bloody maria!). Is this a bloody mary with shrimp or a 'shrimp cocktail'? A little bit of both. A shrimp cocktail, also known as prawn cocktail, consist of shelled, cooked shrimp served in a glass with a cocktail sauce. Cocktail sauce is simply just ketchup mixed with horseradish and some flavorings. The shrimp are dipped in the cocktail sauce before eaten. A bloody mary is a cocktail (alcoholic beverage) consisting of vodka, tomato juice, and other flavorings. I simply combined a shrimp cocktail with a bloody mary to form this drunken shrimp cocktail. And yes, you can drink it as well as dip your shrimp in it!
For this recipe:
Drunken Shrimp Cocktail
By Laura Bullock | Laura The Gastronaut
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
• 16 shell-on, tail-on shrimp • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt • 2 Tablespoons butter • Lemon wedge, for glass rim • Celery salt, for glass rim • 8 ounces tomato juice • 4 ounces vodka • 1 teaspoon lemon juice • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire • 1 teaspoon hot sauce • 1 teaspoon olive juice • 1/2 teaspoon horseradish • Parsley, for garnish
1. In a bowl, combine shrimp, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Mix so that shrimp are well covered with seasonings. 2. In a non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. When melted, place shrimp in a single layer into skillet. Cook 1-2 minutes per side until opaque and cooked-through. Set aside. 3. Run a lemon wedge along the rim of the two cocktail glasses you will be serving the shrimp cocktail in. With a small amount of celery salt on a plate, twirl the rims of the glasses in the celery salt so it gets all around the edge. 4. In a cocktail shaker, combine tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, olive juice, and horseradish with a couple of ice cubes. Shake for about 10 seconds. Strain into two cocktail glasses. 5. Place 8 shrimp on each glass and garnish with parsley.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Let me know by leaving a comment below and sharing on Instagram. Tag @laurathegastronaut and hashtag it #laurathegastronaut.
Category: Cocktails, Appetizers & Snacks, Seafood Cuisine: American
Keywords: drunken shrimp cocktail, shrimp cocktail, bloody mary, halloween recipe
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER HALLOWEEN RECIPES
October 2, 2021 by Laura Bullock