Laura The Gastronaut > Recipes > Halloween > Spicy Relish Hot Dog
Spicy Relish Hot Dog
October 3, 2021 | Jump to Recipe
*This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see full disclosure policy for details.*
This green relish hot dog is spicy from the jalapenos and slightly sweet from the balsamic ketchup. Turn the balsamic ketchup into Frankenstein's stitches, and you have the perfect hot dog for Halloween. However, it's delicious to eat any time of the year!
31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN
This spicy relish hot dog is a part of my 31 Days of Halloween. For each day in October, I come up with a cocktail recipe and snack recipe that perfectly matches a scary movie, Halloween movie, or a fun spooky activity. Check it out for all of your Halloween snack and drinking desires!
SPICY, SLIGHTLY SWEET, & PICKLED
Today was all about the movie Frankenweenie. It just made sense that I needed to create a recipe involving a hot dog and the color green. So the spicy relish hot dog was created. I quick-pickled jalapenos, cucumbers, and cilantro for the hot dog topping. Then to counterbalance the spiciness, I made a balsamic ketchup made for a little bit of sweetness. Of course I drew the balsamic ketchup on the hot dog in a way to resemble Frankenstein's stitches.
SPICY RELISH HOT DOG INGREDIENTS
• Jalapenos: Keep in the seeds for a spicer relish or remove the seeds to tone it down some.
• Cucumbers: Cucumber cut into half-moons really helps cool down those jalapenos!
• Cilantro: While not necessary to add to the relish, I feel like it add great flavor.
• Vinegar + Water + Sugar + Salt: The mixture that will quick-pickle our peppers and cucumbers.
• Lime Juice: I add some fresh lime juice to the pickling mixture just for a little bit of lime taste.
• Garlic: Of course, we gotta add some fresh garlic cloves to the mix!
• Buns + Hot Dogs: Or, as I like to call them, the carriers of the spicy relish.
• Balsamic Vinegar + Ketchup: A slightly sweet and tangy sauce that pairs perfectly with the spicy relish.
HOW TO MAKE A SPICY RELISH HOT DOG
The first thing to work on is the relish. Combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1 Tablespoon lime juice, 1/2 Tablespoon Kosher salt, and 1/2 Tablespoon sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium until boiling.
Combine 2 sliced jalapenos, 1/2 cup cucumbers cut into half-moons, and 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro leaves in a medium bowl. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the peppers, cucumbers, and cilantro. Let this mixture sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits, the better it will be. Once it reaches room temperature, cover and place in fridge until ready to use.
For the balsamic ketchup, simply mix 1/4 cup of ketchup with 1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
Place your hot dogs in those buns and top with lots of spicy relish and balsamic ketchup. If desired, draw the balsamic ketchup on the hot dog as Frankenweenie's stitches! Enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SPICY RELISH HOT DOGS
• Avocado Margarita; If you want to stay with a Frankenweenie theme, try out this green avocado margarita. It's so creamy, a little bit spicy, and absolutely delicious!
SPICY RELISH HOT DOG SCIENCE AND QUESTIONS
What is quick pickling? Quick pickling is also known as vinegar pickling. It doesn't require any special equipment and pretty much any vegetable can be pickled. These pickled vegetables won't have as much of a complex flavor as traditional pickled vegetables, but they are SO much faster to make and still great! For the brine, a 1:1 ratio of vinegar to water is used. Salt and sugar are also added for flavor. You can use basic white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, and rice vinegar. However, stay away from vinegars such as balsamic or malt. You want the acetic acid content to be at least 5%. The acetic acid in the vinegar will prevent the vegetables from decaying so fast. When a vegetable starts dying, they release enzymes which start to break down the vegetable. The acid in the vinegar will slow down that process and prevent bacteria from growing. This is a great way to use up veggies to prevent food waste! What is balsamic ketchup? Balsamic ketchup is just simply ketchup with balsamic in it! You can make it really fancy by adding spices and/or honey, but I decided to keep it simple so it wouldn't mask the flavors of the relish too much. You can also make your own homemade ketchup if you prefer! What other vegetables can I add to the quick pickle? Fresh ginger, ground spices, herbs such as dill, thyme, oregano, and rosemary, dried herbs, and whole spices such as mustard seeds, coriander, and peppercorns.
For this recipe:
Spicy Relish Hot Dog
By Laura Bullock | Laura The Gastronaut
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Resting Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 hot dogs
• 1/2 cup water • 1/2 cup white vinegar • 1 Tablespoon lime juice • 1/2 Tablespoon Kosher salt • 1/2 Tablespoon sugar • 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced • 24 slices (~1/2 cup) cucumber, cut in half-moons • 1/2 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves, chopped • 1/4 cup ketchup • 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar • 6 hot dog buns • 6 all-beef hot dogs
1. In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar, lime juice, salt, and sugar. Cook over medium heat until boiling. 2. Combine jalapenos, cucumbers, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Pour hot vinegar mixture over and stir. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. If not serving right away, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge until ready to use. *You can also store in glass jars if planning on saving some of the vegetables for a later use.* 3. For the balsamic ketchup, stir ketchup and balsamic vinegar together in a bowl until well combined. 4. Heat up hot dogs by: 1) Bringing a pot of water to a boil, reducing heat to low, placing hot dogs in water, and cooking for 5 minutes or 2) Grilling the hot dogs over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally. 5. Place hot dogs in buns and top with relish and balsamic ketchup. If desired, draw balsamic ketchup to resemble Frankenweenie's stitches!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Let me know by leaving a comment below and sharing on Instagram. Tag @laurathegastronaut and hashtag it #laurathegastronaut.
Category: Lunch & Dinner, Halloween, Beef Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot dog, halloween recipe, Frankenweenie recipe, quick pickled
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER HALLOWEEN RECIPES
October 3, 2021 by Laura Bullock